Do I have a drug or alcohol problem?

How do you know if you or a friend has a problem with alcohol or other drugs?  The first point to remember is that it does not matter how long or short a person has been drinking or using.  It is what the drinking or drug use does to the person that matters. 


Ask yourself these basic questions:

Have you ever forgotten things you did while drinking or high?

Do you get drunk or high on a regular basis?   (every day or every weekend)

Have you ever lied about the amount you do?

Do you believe that alcohol or drugs are necessary to have fun?

Do you feel run down, depressed, or even suicidal?

Have you ever ridden in a car driven by someone, including yourself, who was high or drunk?

Have things ever got out of control while you were high or drunk?


If you have answered yes to any of these questions, it means that you may need help with your choice of using alcohol and drugs.  Acknowledging that you need help is a sign of strength.  Go to the Who can help link or call the Riverside Community Care number 781 769-8674 for help.   Another helpful person to call is the Needham High School Drug and Alcohol Prevention Specialist, Ms. Deb Engler at 781 455-0800 ext 2341  is a great web site for youth to get more information about drug and alcohol use and treatment. 


Hurting yourself is NEVER
the right answer.
There are people who can help.

For immediate help call
911 or

Riverside Emergency Services

Newton Wellesley Hospital

To talk with someone call
Samariteen Hotline
1-800-252-TEEN (8336)

Samaritan Helpline
1-877-870-HOPE (4673)

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
1-800-273-TALK (8255)

Support and Help Around You