Should I tell the school?

YES.  Your child’s school needs to know about your concerns so your child’s well being can be ensured during his time at school. School staff has been trained as a part of Needham’s ACTs Initiative to respond to a student’s or a parent’s concern about possible suicide risk. They can help keep your child safe and find resources.

Contact your child’s school counselor. If you do not know your child’s counselor, contact the following:

Needham High School Students: Carol Freedman,  781 455 0865 School Nurse

Pollard Middle School Students:  Rosemary Leone, 781 455 0485 x238 School Nurse

Private School Students: The principal or headmaster


  1. Will my child’s concerns be kept confidential?

    School staff will provide information only to those individuals who need to know to help your child. Ask who will be included in the school's plan for your child.

  2. Will my child be angry/withdrawn from me if I talk to the school?

    Your child may have these feelings. The most effective approach is to include your child in the discussion with the school staff, encouraging him to describe his experience and needs as well as to have him hear what you have to say.

  3. What can the school do to help?

     Once your child is aware certain school personnel can support him,  he, as well as you, will hopefully feel less alone. An individualized support plan will be set up providing access to support and/or staff initiated check in on a determined frequency. You will have a designated contact person to receive and give information regarding your child’s emotional status.

  4. Will the school work with my child’s therapist and doctor?

    School staff, with signed releases, are eager to work with your child’s treatment providers to insure coordination of care. They also try to work closely with psychiatric hospital staff to develop an effective reintegration plan.

  5. Will my child’s educational program be modified if his condition impacts his learning?

    Accommodations can be made to reduce the stress level and provide a more supportive environment for you child. Talk with your child’s school counselor or nurse.





Hurting yourself is NEVER
the right answer.
There are people who can help.

For immediate help call
911 or

Riverside Emergency Services

Newton Wellesley Hospital

To talk with someone call
Samariteen Hotline
1-800-252-TEEN (8336)

Samaritan Helpline
1-877-870-HOPE (4673)

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
1-800-273-TALK (8255)

Support and Help Around You